Tuesday, August 28, 2007

24/2.8 Nikkor AI-S: A funny little lens it is...

Funny because of the way this lens performs on my D200 - or should I say the way the D200 performs with this lens. Here's why.

In the course of using the Electronic Rangefinder to confirm focus (since the image is so small), I was horrified to see soft images emerge from my first few frames. I got a lemon, I thought - hodgbodkins! But then I noticed that after the ER llight came on I could turn the focus ring quite a bit before the ER light went back off - now that's funny.

So, starting from infinity, I took a frame right after the ER light came ON while turning the focus ring - and another just before it turned OFF. Voila! Sharp images occurred at one extreme end of the ER's focus range - and garbage on the other. Funny, huh? Take a look at these 100% center section crops - no PP whatsoever:

Attached Image
Soft Center at Infinity Side of ER

Attached Image
Sharp Center at Closest Focus Side of ER

So what to do? It's simple really - I start the focus ring scale turned to the right and move towards the infinity setting. As soon as the ER light appears I stop - that's where sharp focus will occur. Chimping confirms whether I am on the money or not. A little slow but, then again, it is a MF prime...

With a 52mm filter size, this Nikkor model will utilize many accessories I already have - including the Lester Dine Macro Ringlight (a major reason for buying it). The 24/2.8 AI-S is in perfect shape with nary a mark in the paint and perfect glass. It weighs next to nothing and at an effective focal length of 36mm , the 24/2.8 Nikkor AI will make a great 'normal' prime for many subjects.

Mule

No comments: