Sunday, March 9, 2008

2008 Riding Season - Are You Ready?

Well, I'm ready. Really ready, that is. My first ride of the season to Norris Lake a few weeks back and another one today tell me the V-Strom is ready for the 2008 Riding Season.

First rides of the season are a big deal only because they're the start of more rides. Six to seven months of rides to be exact. Long one. Short ones. Every one of 'em. And getting ready for those rides is a big deal. Cuz this means work. Fixing, adjusting, adding, changing, finding, buying, and eventually finishing everything you set out to do so you're really actually ready to ride this spring. This process usually requires working in a cold, poorly lit garage, repeated unplanned spending of parts and supplies, and huge sacrifices in quality TV viewing. Why? To make the 2008 Riding Season better than last year's. There's also the hours spent on internet research. More hours spent keeping up with your bike's forum members for all those details and insight you can't get anywhere else. Then, choosing the right items that will make your ride truly deluxe. There's never enough time or money. We must prevail. Spring is coming!

I bought my 2007 DL650A in December and had put only a few hundred miles on it until mid-February. In the meantime, I had my 2007 Winter To-Do List. Did I get it all done? You bet I did! Everything on the list is crossed out. What did it take?

- Repositioning the rear brake pedal for better leverage and quickly activating the tail light made all the difference in rear brake operation. Replaced the stock rear brake pads with a new set of EBC HH-rated sintered pads. I am now able to easily operate the rear brakes to the point of activating the ABS for maximum performance. This fixes the flaccid factory braking syndrome many DL650 riders are experiencing.

- Adjusting the shift lever all the way down for a more ergonometric grab with my right foot was big help.

- Careful handlebar and clutch/brake lever repositionings worked for me and took the pain out of my forearms. If I concentrate on my posture now, riding is really quite comfortable.

- An Eastern Beaver fuse box/relay harness is wired up and powering accessories with plenty of room for future add-ons.

- Symtec heated grips have been installed and are an absolute must-do! Not having to wear thick winter gloves is a big step in maintaining safe control in cold weather. The best $36 accessory I have added thus far.

- A Kuryakyn LED battery meter is keeping real-time tabs on the DL's power usage.

- The Bestem top box tail light and LED side markers will add some visibility, but I really want to convert the turn signal-only assemblies into a true parking/turn signal configuration.

- Two new Richland Rick RAM-mount mirror extenders are mounted and ready to accept future RAM-mounted accessories during 2008.

- A 16-tooth Suzuki OEM Gixxer 600 front sprocket has already proven to be a better gearing partner for the stock rear sprocket over the stock 15-tooth spec. This install included a thorough cleaning, lube repacking and adjustment of the clutch release mechanism - a good seasonal chore for us all.

- A Bestem 46-liter removable top box now holds my HJC CL-31 helmet and other riding gear. My Cortech GX jacket fits in one of the Givi side cases for a complete stow at the curb.

- A black Kevin Baker DL fork brace has stabilized the front end for smoother turns and better tracking in rough pavement conditions.

- 3M Black Reflective Tape has been applied on the frame and hard cases for better night visibility. I added some stylish patches on my helmet too.

- My PVC Koozie Kola Kooler drink carrier will keep me slaked on those longer roads.

- And there's fresh Shell Rotella T 5-30W synthetic oil in the crankcase for a long season of get-on-it-and-go convenience.

Now that's a feel-good post for any rider! If you spent last winter prepping your beastie for Spring of 2008, you know what that means. This year is gonna be the best one ever - we made sure of that!

No comments: