Wednesday, January 23, 2008

LED Side Markers Add Visibility

Although equipped with superb headlighting power, the V-Strom is limited in the lighting department elsewhere. With no parking lights, side lighting is nonexistent and this worries me that I'll be easy pickins' in traffic where unwary motorists won't 'recognize' my V-Strom like other vehicles are normally viewed. To avoid that confusion, I'm installing side marker LED assemblies - two amber units up front and two red units at the rear. They'll be mounted on the bottom surfaces of the fairing 'tupperware' and illuminate the side of the bike while in traffic.

For just $6 per unit at WalMart, these weatherproof, three-LED encapsulated marker lights are perfect - their flat sides allow for industrial strength Velcro fastening out of sight in the daytime but clearly visible at night - classy and practical. A separate switch on my fabbed rear power panel will control these parking light additions.

No comments: