Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why a DL650A V-Strom?



After a hiatus from riding on two wheels for a few years (due to a stolen, but recovered, Honda NX250), I finished off 2007 with the purchase of a slightly used (6,234 miles) 2007 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom in classic metallic Oort Gray (the 2008's are painted in Yellow and Flat Black - yuk!).

Almost bought an end-of-year stock model but found this jewel a day before buying. So, on December 8th I found myself in Ft. Payne, AL (three hours from Knoxville, TN) at Pro Source Motorsports and looking at a very well farkled machine. I had made my deal on the phone and although a fellow from Texas was making plans to buy and freight the bike to his house, my check was written first and I trucked it home in my son's pickup.

What a deal! Besides being ridden only 5 months, this bike was loaded! First, it is the ABS model which is a bit hard to find and even better when you're not really paying for it! I managed to get this bike with all its accessories for $1000 under its original street price. Now, add these premo farkles :


Hepco and Becker Engine Bars


Stebel Air Horn (this thing is loud!)


OEM Suzuki Gel Seat


OEM Suzuki Center Stand


OEM Suzuki Handguards & Mirror Extenders


Fenda Extenda



Barbacks


Givi E36 Monokey Hard Side Cases


Avon Distanzia


Windstrom Manta Windshield

And best of all - a 48-month Suzuki Extended Warranty through 2011! I'm still shaking my head in disbelief...

Here in East Tennessee we get many warm days and I'll be on the V-Strom every chance I get. My few hours on the 'zuk have already convinced me this bike is going to be perfect for commuting and long/short range trips any time I get a chance.

In the meantime, during these colder winter months, I've been modding this adventure tourer as follows:


OEM Swingarm Spools (for dealer repairs, etc.)


Dan Vesel Switchplate and Kuryakyn Battery Monitor


46-liter Bestem Hard Top Case



3M Black Reflective Tape


Koozi Koka Kola Kooler (PVC pipe & test plug...)


LED Side marker Lighting (from WalMart)


Symtec Heated Grips


8-Fuse Wiring Harness (from Eastern Beaver)


Rear Power Panel (Battery Tender and auxiliary power)


Grip Puppies

In another couple months, I'll be ready to write some trip reports from our area - so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Sean said...

Sounds like you got a great deal. I'm looking for the same bike!