Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Wedding Shooter

You know how some people want your exact settings to replicate when they try something? I used to get irritated by that, but this time it might be useful. My familiarity with the Nikon D300 is growing, and combining my experience with the SB-800 Speedlight, Auto ISO, D-Lighting and other Nikon technologies is making this business a lot more productive - and fun.

On this three-hour assignment, I shot 703 RAW images at an outdoor wedding in sunny 96-degree weather. Here's what I used and how I did it:

Location Outdoors (backyard wedding)
Lighting Direct sun > open shade > late afternoon cross lighting

DSLR D300 w/ MB-D10 Grip
Lens 16-85/3.5-5.6 AF-S VRII
S Mode set to 1/250th
AF Mode AF-S and AF-C (as needed)
Apertures varied from f5.6 - f6.3 (with flash)
Auto ISO activated (never left base ISO with SB-800 in use)
D-Lighting Normal level
NR Off
Matrix Metering used in shaded areas (with no sky in the frame)
Spot Metering for bright and mixed lighting scenes
SB-800 iTTL and set as fill on D300

Initially set to ISO 200, I later moved the base ISO to 400 to get a smaller aperture, but that was about it. Shot in S mode with the shutter pegged at 1/250th with fill flash selected and the SB-800 picked the apertures - between 5.6 and 6.3 for the most part, but I didn't really pay any attention since the 16-85 has already proven to me that it can and critical even shoot wide open very well. Made a few adjustments along the way to soften the fill flash, etc. but generally kept an eye on the histograms and worked toward an ideal exposure for each frame.

I'm more impressed with the D300/SB-800 combi than the last time I did a wedding - mainly cuz I know more of what I'm doing! Used to freak a little when shooting in direct sunlight, but now I just don't worry about it. I find the right level of fill (via the histograms mostly) and spent very little time dealing with the camera at all - just shot, chimped and went back to shooting. Even as late afternoon cross lighting began to appear, I did nothing else to control exposure - the D300 and SB-800 did just fine on their own.

AF was sufficiently quick - quicker really in AF-C cuz it doesn't have to confirm focus before firing. In 96-degree weather, I discovered the NiMH batts get incredibly hot when I do my changeout after the ceremony. They performed beautifully, though, with frequent bursts at close range and a keeper image each time. A second set of NiMH's carries me through the reception with no problems. The MB-D10 battery power never really dipped with no power load on the body but basic shooting functions - the vertical release was a welcome addition.

I'll adjust final exposure, contrast and saturation in Lightroom where the fabulous Synch feature allows for rapid processing of these adjustments to every image group, as well as creative effects along the way for some variety.

All in all, a much more comfortable experience than ever. The setting left a lot to be desired - open yard with little or no gardens and trees. Background mountain scenery was awesome but not terribly useable where we were shooting. Still, a technically successful shoot and one that left me looking forward to the next one with greater confidence and appreciation for all things Nikon.

No comments: